Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Riding The Course In Tempe


After about a mile in the Pacific Tuesday morning, Tim Bomba and I made our way to Arizona. Fortunately, it was an uneventful trip. When we got there, Tim was amazed by the desert resort that is my cousin Allan's house. We went to Whole Foods to get some food to eat and went to bed early.

The plan was to get to Tempe and ride the bike course and do a little running. However, when we got there, I realized that I had not packed my bike shoes. Back to Chandler to get the shoes and then back to Tempe to try it again.

We rode the course and it is harder on the way out than I expected. There is a head wind that is not overly strong, but certainly strong enough to slow you down. It is uphill enough to slow you down, but not so much as to call it a serious climb. I also got a flat on the way out. The nice part is that the way back is down hill and with a tail wind.

The thing that really started to concern me is that I have had a lot of flats ever since I changed my tires to Vittorio Rubino Pros. I must admit that part of the reason I chose these tires is that they are red and went with the color scheme of my bike. Perhaps not the best criterion for chosing a bike tire. After this flat, I have decide that I need to get different tires before the Ironman. My biggest concern is not making the bike cutoff. If I have a couple of flats, that will be much harder to do.

We went by Landis Cylcery in Tempe and I asked for tough durable tires and got some Continentals that the guy at the bike shop assured me that were quite tough. Tim said he has been using the same tire and agreed. I sure hope so.

Tomorrow, Tempe Town Lake is open for swimming from 8:00 to 10:00 and so we are going to swim and I might get a little riding in.

No comments: