Saturday, November 22, 2008

Friday - Easy Training And A Banquet


We got here on Tuesday and there were obviously other participants in town, but fewer than I expected. When we rode the bike course on Wednesday, we saw maybe eight to ten other cyclists. On Thursday when we swam in Tempe Town Lake there were dozens of other participants, but the swim was not too crowded. Yesterday, when I did an easy swim of about a half a mile there were hundreds of people in the water. I actually cut my swim a little short because there were people swimming every which way, and because the water is so murky, you can't see others approaching. I was somewhat afraid of having a head-on collision with another swimmer. I ran about three, very easy miles, after my swim. That was my training for the day.

I am now starting to see a great number of other L.A. Tri Club folks around town.


In the evening we went to the Athlete Banquet. I purchased a ticket for The Great Magnetic Wife for $25.00. The meal consisted of a salad, pasta, chicken and cookies. Our beverage selection consisted of various flavors of Gatorade. An odd accompaniment for a meal, but hey, they're a sponsor. It was a meal that in a moderate restaurant would cost about $7.99, but this was a special triathlon meal, so it cost much more.

The Great Magnetic wife got bored and annoyed at the presentation after dinner and we still had to wait for the mandatory athlete meeting. She decided that she had some phone calls to make and so she went over to the Tempe Center for the Arts and befriended an usher.

No comments: