Monday, November 10, 2008

The Last Big Weekend Of Training


This was the last big weekend of training before I start my taper. A taper is a significant reduction of training so that the body can fully rest and recover before the big day. I ran sixteen miles with the L.A. Leggers on Saturday. This was harder than I expected. At this point doing a half-marathon (13.1 miles) is still a good, long run, but not at all intimidating. I can recover after a day. But the last two miles of the sixteen mile run where very hard. My legs were really hurting. I anticipate a lot of pain during the last half of the marathon portion of the Ironman. However, at one point, when every step was more painful than the last, I remembered how fortunate I am to be able to run. Even if I run slowly and awkwardly and painfully, I am in good health and I am able to run. My thoughts turned to Lawrence Fong, who cannot run. I continue to pray that one day he will. With the legs quite sore, I also did thirty miles on the bike. Although, I did the ride at a fairly leisurely pace. The nice thing is that even though my legs were painful during the run and while I was cycling, the next day they weren't really sore. 

Sunday started with a mile and a half at the pool at the Hollywood Bally's Total Fitness. I swim there about every six months and decide that I really dislike that pool and vow to never swim there again. After about six months I seem to forget how much I dislike the pool and get tempted by its convenience. Well, I again vow to never swim there again. It is too crowded, it is overly chlorinated and the water is murky. I swear that I will never, ever swim in that pool as long as I live. You can read about how much I hate this pool and how I will never swim in it again approximately next May, the next time I swim there.

After my swim, I rushed of to church where and then went to the Rose Bowl for another 30 miles on the bike. 

No comments: