Monday, November 10, 2008

L.A. Marathon Date Change Again


There are thousands of people all over Southern California training for the L.A. Marathon. There are groups like the L.A. Leggers, L.A. Roadrunners, Team In Training, etc., plus thousands of individuals who meticulously plan to get ready to run the L.A. Marathon. It can take more than six months to prepare and train for a marathon and yet the date for the L.A. Marathon has changed two times since September. Its tradition date is the first Sunday in March. It was changed to be on President's Day Monday. Two weeks earlier is not ideal for those who were training, but it is doable. Now it has been changed again to Memorial Day in May. It is fairly obvious that the new owner of the L.A. Marathon, Dodger owner Frank McCourt has never trained for a marathon. If you want to change the date do it the following year. I have not made any plans beyond my Ironman, but I am pretty sure I will not be running the L.A. Marathon. The date change also puts it one week before the San Diego Rock n Roll Marathon. If I do a marathon this year it will either be Surf City in February or San Diego in May. I have the feeling I will not be the only one who forgoes L.A. For a marathon that has never really lived up to its potential, this will not help.

No comments: