Saturday, June 21, 2008

Hot Enough For Ya?


Every good triathlon training plan calls for regular bricks. A brick is a training session that incorporated at least two of the triathlon disciplines back-to-back. Today, the training plan called for a bike-run brick. The weather man called for temperatures nearing 100. Well, you gotta train. I just figured I would do a very slow brick. The Great Magnetic Wife and even The Great Magnet Parents tried to talk me in to running before my bike, but I explained that I have to train my legs to run after biking. Plus, you never know what the weather is going to be like on race day, it is best to do some running in high heat. My brother-in-law, Will, is training for Ironman Louisville this August. From everything I have heard that is a brutally hot race. I asked him how he is training for the heat and he said, "wearing a lot of clothes." Make sense.

The bike was not too bad.  I rode from Culver City High School, down the Ballona Creek Bike Path to the beach and then along the beach bike path. I doubt the temperatures were over eighty, and with the breeze that riding a bike generates, I felt great. The run, however,  was really hot. I decided to run at the Culver City High School track just in case I was getting over-heated, I would not be too far from the air conditioning of the car. I never felt I was over heating, I did drink a lot, but I was running very slow. I ended up doing about a twelve minute a mile pace.

Twenty-plus miles on the bike at average 17.2 mile an hour pace. Three mile run at 12.1 minute miles. Considering the heat, not bad.  Tomorrow, I will do an Olympic triathlon length brick: 1500 meter ocean swim, 40k bike, 10k run. The weather will still be hot, but I hope not quite as hot.  Welcome to summer.

1 comment:

Paulie said...

Hi John. I was wondering if you know whether the Culver High track is open to the public only on certain hours or what. I'm looking for a track in that area. Thanks.