Saturday, June 28, 2008

Getting My Geek On!


I haven't raced in a triathlon in three months. The last event I participated in the the Ironman California 70.3 in Oceanside on March 29. I have forgotten how much I like to tri-geek out on the night before an event. I am writing this sitting in a Best Western Hotel in Oxnard, California, having spent the last three hours obsessively going over each piece of equipment from sock and swim goggles to Power Bars and sunscreen. I put the wrist band that allows me into the transition area on and I put my timing chip around my leg, just to be sure I don't forget them. I cleaned the chain and gears of my bike, I have packed and re-packed my tri-bag. The Great Magnetic Wife patiently puts up with it all. In the rest of my life, I am not at all obsessive/compulsive, but in this one area I geek-out completely. I actually enjoy this aspect of triathlon and it helps me prepare for my transistions as I go through all of my equipment. At least that is what I keep telling myself.

John Thum

No comments: