Friday, January 25, 2008

Spirit Of The Marathon


I saw Spirit Of The Marathon last night. It was both inspiring and familiar. I saw a lot of myself in the stories that were told. Since I had run seven plus miles in the rain yesterday morning, I was pleased to see people training in all kinds of weather and making sacrifices for their marathon. Some of the people they profiled where a little bland, not that they weren’t perfectly good people, but I would have like to see a bit more personality. I guess the point was that very ordinary people can do a marathon if they are determined enough. I know that is true.

The marketing of the movie was very interesting. It played in a lot of different theaters around the country, but only one showing on one night. So if you were going to see it, you had to go last night. They marketed it to running/tri clubs, stores, etc. It was probably very smart, because the screening I went to was sold out.

I went with my secret movie club. I was pretty sure Jim Jones would like it, he is a very good runner who has qualified for The Boston Marathon. Mike “The Wine Guy” Bronsnan has voiced interest in training for a marathon, but has yet to do so. Reza Fatemi has no interest in the subject. However they all said they liked the movie.

If you are a distance runner, I would recommend the movie when and if it every comes around again or when it comes out of DVD.


*UPDATE* There will be another screening on February 21, 2008 at 7:30pm at 250 Theaters across the country.

John Thum

No comments: