Monday, January 7, 2008

Long Run, Etc.

I did my first long run (10 miles) since my calf injury. I came through okay. I ran slowly, about 11:50/mile, but I felt okay. Unlike my 10 mile runs before the injury, I didn't feel as if I could do it again, but that is okay. It has been three weeks since I did a long run. The other difference than my last few long runs is that my legs are still a little sore two days later. I will do twelve miles with the Leggers next Saturday and try to keep to their schedule up to the L.A. Marathon. The only exception being that I plan on twenty miles on the day they do twenty six.

It has been raining and was seriously threatening to rain all of yesterday, so I went to the gym to work on the stationary bike and to swim. After 25 minutes on the stationary bike I had to get off. It was an old LifeCycle that was really uncomfortable. I finished the rest of my aerobic workout on an elliptical machine. I planned on swimming, but the idea a swimming in that super chlorinated pool made me think again. I ended up doing an upper-body strength session instead.

Today is a rest day and tomorrow I start a pretty intense week.

John Thum