Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Run - Camp Pendleton Triathlon


I had a very weird run. Not in a bad way, in a very good way. I didn't feel particularly good, in fact, I had to stop twice and stretch my calf where it had cramped during the swim. I wasn't feeling particularly strong or fast, I wasn't passing a lot of people, but in the end I ran the fastest 10k that I have ever run at 53:59. That includes stand alone 10ks that are not part of a triathlon. At first I wondered if I was supposed to do three loops on the course instead of two. But no, it was a two loop course and my Garmin Forerunner confirmed that I ran 6.16 miles. So the course was 4/100 of a mile short, but still I have never done a sub-one hour 10k. So I didn't just do a personal best, but I shattered my personal best. I don't get it. Last year on the same course, although on a much hotter day, I did the run portion of the Camp Pendleton International Triathlon in 1:04:20. So I improved my time on the same course by over 10 minutes, a minute a kilometer. I don't get it, I don't know, but it's nice.

My overall time was 3:08:07. Better than last year's time at the same triathlon of 3:13:17 despite the awful swim time.

I really like this race, so I am sure I will do it again next year.

No comments: