Friday, July 11, 2008

Bicycling In Tehachapi


I spent the night in Tehachapi, California on Wednesday night because of work. The training plan called for swimming in the morning, which I did with about one hundred other swimmers at the L.A. Tri Club Ocean Speed Circuit in Santa Monica and then twenty miles in the evening.

I checked into my hotel at about 5:00 and got ready for my ride.  I decided to straight down Tehachapi Boulevard, which is fairly flat and once you get out of town has no stops for miles. Once I was out of town, I was cruising along at about 35 miles an hour with very little effort. Obviously, a very strong tail wind. I have done this ride before and expected this. 

In the hills above Tehachapi there are thousands of windmills and I could see that they were turning very fast. As in the past with this ride, the ride out is a lot of fun, the ride back directly into the wind is tough. It took less than twenty minutes to get to the ten mile turn around point and almost an hour to get back. 

No comments: