Saturday, August 16, 2008

Riding And Running Into An Old Friend


I see that my countdown to Ironman Arizona is under 100 days! The plan from this point is to really step up the bike and the swim. As I think about it more, as long as I can make the cut-off times, I should be able to finish. I will have two hours for the swim and an additional eight hours for the bike. Both are doable, but I have certainly had swims and rides that wouldn't make it. If I do make the cut-off for the run I will have seven hours to complete the marathon. That is a pace of 3.74 miles an hour. That is a brisk walk.

The plan for today was a brick, sixty miles on the bike and a six mile run. I haven't run since last week when I injured my hip, so I was a little worried, but the hip has been totally pain free for a couple of days. 

The bike was good. I went up PCH just like last week. This time I went ten miles farther to get in sixty miles, rather than forty. A few miles in I realized that I had forgotten my cycling gloves. Not a huge deal, but my hands where starting to hurt, so I kept an eye out for a bike shop. I assumed with all of the bicycle traffic on PCH that there would be a few, but it wasn't until about twenty miles into the ride that I finally spotted one. 

As I was walking my bike to the shop, I spotted an old friend and fellow Water Buffalo, Jimmy Sloan. He was carrying his young daughter, Tess, and they were on a mission to get tacos. We caught up a bit and he told me that the bike shop was pretty good, but a bit pricey. He was right about the pricey part, but not necessarily about the quality part. I got some okay gloves that set me back more that $35.00 with tax. Oh well, that'll learn me to forget my gloves.

It was good for me to do the rolling hills along PCH. I really am a terrible climber, but probably one of the reasons I am not very good, is that I don't do much climbing. Overall I averaged about sixteen miles-per-hour, even with stop lights, buying gloves and a bathroom break. That would be the equivalent of seven hours on the bike in the Ironman. I would be happy with that.

After the ride, I got changed into my running gear and took off. Within about 100 yards, I felt a twinge in my hip. I stopped. I do not want to re-injure this. I'll try running again tomorrow. For today, I will just watch others run at the Olympics.



No comments: