Friday, March 14, 2008

A Very Orthodox Running Style

Out on my usual Thursday morning run, I encountered something I had never seen before. I decided to follow the City of West Hollywood's "Well Walking Path" for my run and see where it would take me. Part of the run was down Santa Monica Boulevard approaching Fairfax. It was there that I spied an unusual sight. It was at about 6:30 in the morning, and because of the early Daylight Saving Time this year, it was still dark. Running ahead of me, in the same direction, was a man in a black suit, white dress shirt and a big black hat. He wasn't going very fast, even slower than me, if you can believe that. At first he looked as if he were jogging to catch a bus or something, but there was no bus around. As I got closer and he kept on going, I realized he was out for his morning run, just like me, only he was an Orthodox Jew who was wearing a black suit and hat. His shoes must have been some sort of soft-sole dress shoe like Rockports, because they sure weren't running shoes. Just as I caught up to him, he turned and went down a side street. But, a short while after I turned on Fairfax Avenue, he was there again. After I passed him, I didn't see him again.

I applaud him for getting his morning exercise, but I have to wonder if he has a special jogging suit. I sure wouldn't want to start my day sweating in the suit I was going to wear for the rest of the day.


No comments: