Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Sad and Scary


Kristi Gough and Matt Peterson, two bay area cyclists were killed on Sunday, March 9 while on a ride in Cupertino. A Sheriff''s Deputy, who apparently fell asleep in his car and went out of control, hit Kristi and Matt as well as Christopher Knapp, who is recovering at Stanford University Hospital.

I didn't know any of the people involved, although through the L.A. Tri Club I know people who knew Kristi. But it is very sad and scary whenever I hear about a cyclist being killed. When ever I ride on the street, I just assume that cars don't see me. I'm not sure there was anything that Kristi, Matt or Christopher could have done, but it is so important to be vigilant and aware of absolutely everything going on around when out cycling.

That same Sunday, my niece, Rae Brownsberger won a race for the Stanford cycling team in the same general area and with a heavy heart, having full knowledge of what had happened earlier.

Even though I didn't know anybody involved, it cuts me deeply from both sides. As a cyclist and triathlete, I am too aware of the dangers of riding in the street. As someone who hires and works with hundreds of drivers, I am too aware of the dangers of driving when not fully awake. I hired a great guy, just out of the Navy, Dan Evens, to be a test driver. Almost two years ago he was killed when he slammed into the back of a slowed semi when he fell asleep. Part of my job is to conduct safety meetings and teach defensive driving. I have come to realize that driving while fatigued is just as bad as driving drunk.

I pray for all involved in this tragedy.

No comments: