Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Funk


It often seems that when a big event that I have been preparing for a long time finally comes and goes there is a period let down and bewilderment afterwards. The big event in this case was, of course, the Ironman California 70.3. I prepared and focused on this race for about six months and the week after it finally happened, I was happy I did it, but a little down that it was over.  I felt that way for about two days after the L.A. Marathon, but I knew that the half-ironman was less than a month away and I had to stop feeling aimless and start training.  

I took a break from training almost the whole week after the Oceanside race.  I would log onto The Great Magnetic Field and see my Ironman countdown clock ticking and see that I had over seven months to worry about that and go about my day slightly depressed. 

Finally I went to see Cherie Gruenfeld speak, she's a multiple age-group Ironman world champion. She was promoting and selling her new book, "Become An Ironman," I bought a copy and reading it began to get me out of my funk.  I realized I will need everyone of those days in the next seven plus months to prepare for Ironman Arizona in November.  I started training again quite vigorously last Monday and mapped out my training plan for the rest of the month. 

I wonder what kind of funk I will be in next November after I finish Ironman Arizona?

Speaking of Ironman Arizona, I am going to Tempe this weekend to observe the final April version the race.  I hope I will be able to learn a few things about how to prepare for the race in November.

The Great Magnetic Wife may or may not accompany me as taxes are due and she is in charge.

No comments: