Saturday, April 9, 2011

Plantar Fasciitis


I have been having some pain in my feet for some time. After my run last week with the L.A. Leggers, I thought that I might have bruised my heel. But a couple of days later, I realized I was developing plantar fasciitis. I have heard of many runners getting this, and that it was painful, but I guess now it is my turn.

Plantar fasciitis is a swelling of the plantar fascia, a thick band that extends from the heal to the toes. At times, it feels as if someone is stabbing the heal of my left foot with a knife. This has made it hard to run and puts my training for the New York City Marathon and Ironman Arizona in jeopardy.

Stay tuned.


3 comments:

james jones said...

My sympathies,

As you know, I've had that problem on and off since 1993. Its likeley the hard orthotics custom made by many podiatrist's over the years may've prolonged my injury. Its a frustrating issue, since rest, ice and message doesn't help much. I tried acupuncture, cortisone shots and even shock wave therapy-to no avail.

Would you consider going back to conventional running shoes?

Slow John said...

In retrospect, this has been a long time in coming. It is just that a flair-up happened that I could not ignore. I do believe that running with the vibram five fingers has helped to prolong my first serious flair-up. Walking around barefoot after work seems to help a lot.

tokenblogger said...

Ouch.