Saturday, September 25, 2010

A Busy, Busy Day


In what is going to be one of the hottest days of the year, I was glad to have an excuse to spend some time near the ocean. Sun Valley is supposed to get over 100 degrees today. But I met my L.A. Leggers running group at 6:45 in the morning to run eight miles.

I've been running this entire season in my Vibram Five Fingers. It has been great. Not quite barefoot running, but awfully close. The feet and joints feels really good. I have become a believer that modern running shoes do more long-term damage than good.

The Great Magnetic Wife was waiting with Rango for us at about three miles. Rango was very happy to see me and apparently cried and howled after I had passed. I don't want my dog to be distressed by not being with him, but it is very touching that he misses me so much. We've been running three times a week together, I don't think he understands why he can't go running with me when I'm with the group.

When we were heading back to the finish, The Great Magnetic Wife gave me Rango's leash and we ran the last half mile ahead of the group to the finish. Rango had a fine time.

We went to a Starbucks on Montana Avenue in Brentwood to relax a bit and have some coffee. This gives me a chance to go into their bathroom and give myself a "hobo wash" in the sink and change out of my sweaty running clothes. There were many fine dogs and many people to admire Rango around. One lady, who was walking two dogs of her own, doted on Rango and offered to trade. Kind of tongue-in-cheek, and kind of not.

The Great Magnetic Wife had some important shopping to do at the new Santa Monica Nordstrom and Rango and I did not. We went for another walk along the beach and met up later.

We then headed to a food truck festival when we had a grilled cheese sandwich, mac n cheese and tomato soup from The Grilled Cheese Truck and "Baco" or bacon taco from an all-bacon truck called "Lardon". This wasn't just a taco with bacon in it. The taco shell was made out of bacon and it was filled with cheese and potatoes. Mmmm...bacon!

Finally it was off to Frontrunners to exchange my Vibram Five Fingers KSOs (stands for Keep Stuff Out). The pair I bought about three weeks ago started to come unglued on the side. They were very good in exchanging them. They are a great running store. Good service, knowledgeable sales people. I like 'em and recommend 'em!

By the time we got home both The Great Magnetic Wife and Rango where ready for a good nap. I'll probably take one after posting this.

3 comments:

tokenblogger said...

So how's the arch support?

If you step on a rock, or something, does it hurt?

Slow John said...

There is no arch support. But if you walk around barefoot, there is no arch support either.

It will hurt if you step on a rock, but you tend to pay a lot more attention to such things. The advantage of these is that if you step on glass or a sharp rock your feet are not cut.

The idea is to simulate running barefoot, but with some protection for your feet.

Unknown said...

Nice Post and nice Blogger....!!

Live project training in ahmedabad