Sunday, January 18, 2009

Cause: Running Without A Knee Brace. Effect: My Knee Hurts


As I stepped out of my car to go run with the L.A. Leggers on Saturday I realized that I forgot my knee brace. I have done this before and I almost always regret it. I severely injured my knee when I was in the eight grade. I shattered the backside of my patella and had to have it re-shaped by a surgeon. Ever since that time I have had some knee pain. Since the time I took up running my knee has been strengthened and overall, I have had less pain. However, if I run without my knee brace that is not the case. 

We were scheduled for a twelve mile run, but after the first three miles I had to drop out. The knee pain was too much and I did not want to injure it further. I took the rest of the day off from training as well as all day Sunday. The knee feels better now, I will run tomorrow with the knee brace. I am scheduled for the Surf City Half Marathon in two weeks. I should still be ready, but it would have been nice to get in a long run.

No comments: