Sunday, September 14, 2008

Trying To Find The Time To Train.


Saturday was a good training day, Sunday was one of those, "best laid plans" sort of days. I ran eight miles with the L.A. Leggers on Saturday morning. The only hitch was that I realized I forgot my knee brace as I was walking to the meeting area. At that point I wasn't going to drive back to West Hollywood to get it, so I just figured that if my knee was hurting too much, I would stop. The odd thing was that it didn't hurt at all while I was running, but as soon as we took our walking breaks, I could feel it. I assumed I would pay for it later in the day, but my knee really felt pretty good all day.

The second part of the training plan for Saturday was to ride sixty miles. Not a problem. I did find myself on Venice Blvd. in Culver City near the end of my ride. I was near where my former, just for fun, hardly ever play a gig, cover band used to rehearse on Saturday afternoons. I rode by the place and saw that the Poobah's car was there, so obviously they were playing. I stopped in to say hello. They sounded pretty good and where actually rehearsing for a rare gig. I'll go see them on September 27 in the parking lot of the same rehearsal studio. There will also be free pizza and beer!

Sunday didn't go quite as smoothly. I agreed to play in the band at church. I realize that I am going to have to cut this out between now and Ironman Arizona, but this was to be one last time. We were to rehearse Saturday afternoon. The service didn't start until 11:00, so I figured I could do a long swim in the morning and forty miles after church. At the last minute the Saturday rehearsal was cancelled, and we were to rehearse at 8:30 am before the first, more traditional, service. That kind of precluded an ocean swim because church is in Glendale. As it turns out, the sound guy was late and we were only able to half run through some of the songs anyway. We played and it sounded okay. Although lots of people said it sounded good. 

I brought my bike to church and figured I would ride from there, not wasting any time driving to somewhere else to ride. I headed to Pasadena and took a lap around the Rose Bowl. I then headed north on Linda Vista Avenue, passing many nice ranch style and craftsman houses. As I rode further up the hill, the houses turned into very stately mansions. Close to the top of the hill I passed another cyclist (a fairly rare occasion going up a hill), and came to a fork in the road. I waited for the guy I just passed and asked him where the two roads led. One went to Descanso Gardens in La Canada-Flintridge and down to Montrose and finally to Glendale. That sounded good to me since that is where I was ultimately headed. By the time I hooked up with Verdugo Avenue, I had done considerable climbing and it was almost all down hill from there. 

In all I got my forty mile ride in, but not my swim. I think I will forego my planned rest day Monday and swim

1 comment:

Paulie said...

Where did you get that photo? Let me know if you ever want someone to ride with. I ride in that area all the time.