Saturday, May 17, 2008

Paris - Monday, April 28,2008


I woke up at about 3:00 am and realized that I did not feel very well. I had some aching all over my body, but especially in my legs. I hoped to just go back to sleep, but I was unable to. I got up and went out on the balcony to look down at what was happening on the street. Not much at 3:00 am: A guy walked by, someone from the hotel put out the trash. I then started writing down the adventures from the previous day, in other words, I started this. I made several attempts to go back to sleep, but my legs were so achy and painful that I could not do so until about 4:30 am.

I wasn't feeling great when we got up. We had planned on going to the Louvre, but that idea seemed a little daunting considering how I felt. It was suggested that instead of the Louvre, we go to the Clooney. I was hesitant to go to a Museum devoted entirely to George Clooney, but it turns out that it is called the Cluny,  and is a museum devoted to medieval art and artifacts. It is housed in an old monastery that also has ruins from Roman era baths. It was pretty neat, especially the tapestries. After a couple of hours, I realized I was not gong to be able to continue for the rest of the day. I took the metro back to the hotel while the others went on to other sights. Here is a photo of Bruce and me in the courtyard of the Cluny after our tour.

I rested at the hotel and watched the World Snooker Championship on Eurosport. I ended up really getting into it. I watched a little every day. The winner, Ronnie O'Sullivan, wasn't determined until after we got back, but I was interested enough that I had to look it up on the web to see who finally won.

After some rest, I felt a little better and we had tickets to the Ballet at the Opera National de Paris near the site of the Bastille. We saw three short pieces by Nureyev, Balantine and Forsythe. The last one was excruciatingly boring and pretentious, the first two were pretty entertaining, but I still had trouble staying awake, as did Lori, Bruce and The Great Magnetic Wife.

We had dinner at Bistro Romain, a chain of Italian restaurants. It is sort of France's answer to The Olive Garden, but it was quite good.

John Thum

No comments: